Since its initial launch in 2016, TikTok’s popularity has continued to increase, especially with Generation Z and younger Millennials.
It has gathered over 3 billion downloads and reached one-third of the social media users in the world in only four years.
Besides, TikTok is currently available in over 150 countries.
It has transcended from just an app for dance and prank videos as more businesses use it to reach their audience.
This article will provide you with up-to-date TikTok user statistics to enable you to understand the impact of this platform.
So, let’s get right to it.
1. TikTok has over one billion active monthly user
In the first quarter of 2022, TikTok had over 1.39 billion monthly active users globally, and it is predicted to reach 1.8 billion by the end of the year. This means that out of the above 4 billion active social media users, more than 20% regularly use TikTok.
Besides, TikTok has more than 138 million active users in the U.S. alone.
2. TikTok is the 6th Most Popular App
Using monthly active users, TikTok is the 6th most popular after Facebook, YouTube, WhatsApp, Instagram, and WeChat.
3. TikTok has reached over 3 billion App Downloads
TikTok was the most downloaded non-game application in the first half of 2021, reaching over 300 million installs. It is also the first non-Meta-related app to surpass this milestone. On Google Play Store alone, it has more than 1 billion downloads. Additionally, it was the most popular iPhone App downloaded in 2021 in the U.S.
4. The Average time spent on TikTok per month is about 850 minutes
Over 1 billion videos are watched daily on TikTok, with users spending an average of 95 minutes daily and 858 minutes monthly. A Statista study reported that TikTok users view 167 million hours of video in one internet minute.
5. 43% of TikTok’s global audience of TikTok was between 18 and 24 years old
Despite adults’ adoption of this app, only about 30% of their user base is over 40. It is a very popular app amongst kids as over 40% use it, making it the most blocked social media app by parents. 60% of TikTok users are Gen Z’ers. Plus, the percentage of U.S.-based TikTok users by age: 10-19 – 32.5%, 20-29 – 29.5%, 30-39 – 16.4%, 40-49 – 13.9%, 50+ – 7.1%.
6. Entertainment is the most Popular Category on TikTok
The most viewed content category on the app was entertainment content, with this category having accumulated over 500 billion hashtag views collectively. Other popular categories include entertainment, dance, pranks, fitness, DIY, fashion, beauty, cooking, pets, outdoors, and life hacks.
7. Highest Social Media Engagement Rates per Post
Micro-influencers had engagement rates of 17.96% on TikTok, more than they get on Instagram (3.86%) and YouTube (1.63%). On the other hand, Mega influencers have a 1.96% engagement rate on TikTok, compared to the 1.21% on Instagram and 0.37 on YouTube. Plus, users with more than 100,000 followers get the most engagement.
8. More Females Use TikTok than Males in Most Markets
57% of TikTok users are female, and only 43% are male. This trend follows in other locations as 61% of U.S. TikTok users are women.
9. TikTok’s Highest Reach for users above 18 is in Saudi Arabia
TikTok has its highest reach for older people in Saudi Arabia with over 70%, followed by Kuwait and UAE.
10. $110 Million Estimated Monthly User Spending
TikTok users spent over 2.3 billion dollars on the platform in 2021 and $1.3 billion in 2020.
11. Nine Out of Ten TikTok Users Use the App Multiple Times Daily
TikTok has an average session length of over 10 minutes, making it one of the most engaging platforms. Reports state that the average person in the United States will open the TikTok app eight times a day
12. Ads on TikTok reach 17.9% of internet users who are above 18
Ads reach over 880 million users, translating to 25% female and 17.9% male Gen Z users.
13. Khaby Lame is the most followed TikTok Creator
As of July 2022, Khaby Lame overthrew Charlie D’Amelio to become the most followed creator with 145.4 million followers. Charlie comes in second with 143.2 million followers, followed by Bella Poarch and Addison Rae with 90.5 and 88.2 million followers, respectively.
14. No user demographic prefers TikTok as its favourite app
According to the Hootsuite Digital 2022 Report, only 4% of users named TikTok their favourite social media application.
Additional TikTok User Statistics
- Charli D’Amelio Earned More Than $17 Million from TikTok in 2021
- Android users spend 19.6 hours per month on TikTok
- 430 songs surpassed 1 billion video views as TikTok sounds in 2021
- TikTok users are watching and liking longer videos
- Finance TikTok grew by over 200% in 2021
- TikTok is available in 155 countries and 75 languages
- Kids spend an average of 75 minutes per day on TikTok
- TikTok’s largest markets outside of China are the U.S., Brazil, and Indonesia
- ‘fyp’ is the leading hashtag on TikTok
- Social Blade