I have purchased 245 gigs from Fiverr, spent over $10,000 in the last 3 years and here I share what I have learned about Fiverr gigs.
If you are new to Fiverr and want to buy your first job, but not sure whether Fiverr is worth your time and money, or you want to start selling your services as a freelancer, or maybe you’re just curious how you can make money on Fiverr, all the answers to your questions will be found in this review.
I will also mention a few efficient strategies at the end of the article that will help you start making money on Fiverr quickly.
I have been using Fiverr myself since 2013 and last year I was accepted as Fiverr Pro Seller, which means I am more than qualified to talk about it.
As the potential of Fiverr to attract consumers continues to explode, the good news is that there is a growing demand for whatever services you deliver to the global digital services industry.
Ready to purchase gigs on Fiverr
Cut the chase and visit Fiverr now
Here is a quick summary of what I have learned:
- Fiverr is a legit freelancer platform, however, with a starting price of just $5, it’s possible you find some extremely low-quality freelancers
- Reviews are real, not fake. Buyers can review their sellers only after the order is completed, which makes it a real review.
- Gigs that are marked as Pro tend to be of very quality compared to the normal Fiverr gigs.
- Among the type of gigs that I have bought, content writing professionals tend to deliver the highest quality.
- Backlinks gigs only deliver low-quality and spam links that should be avoided.
What is Fiverr?
Fiverr is simply a marketplace where freelancers and experts can offer their services.
The company was founded in 2010 with one goal, to create an online platform where Freelancers and industry experts can promote their services. Today on the site you can find millions of freelancers offering their services to private clients, companies and agencies.
On Fiverr a project is called a “gig”, many freelancers start off offering their services from $ 5 and up. Hence the name of the site, Fiverr in fact. Obviously, we are not limited to this amount, Fiverr allows you to request any amount for our services, in fact, most of the experienced freelancers offer services between $100 – $10,000 per project. Yes, you have read that right, I heard of a seller making $10,000 from a single sale.
That said, the most popular types of projects on Fiverr are:
- Web design
- Web development
- Voice Over
- Digital Marketing
- Writing and translations
- Animation and video production
- Music and audio services
- Social Meda
1. Fiverr is a legit platform
Yeah, for both buyers and sellers, Fiverr is a legit website. There are some “hustlers” from Fiverr that may try to take advantage of your service or sell you a service that might not be of the same standard as advertised. The customers, however, can still review the order and report whether or not it meets the requirements.
It has customer service that will help you solve any problem at all times and will reply within 24 hours of submitting a ticket. So customer support is actually fantastic.
You can either extend the delivery time or get a refund (partial or full) immediately if a retailer fails to deliver your order on time.
The transactions are all properly documented.
Fiverr also provides a simple way to find freelancer sellers of quality – you can see their ranking, level and read other buyers’ reviews.
A verification procedure for sellers has recently been implemented by Fiverr, and you can see if they have passed it. This makes finding a professional seller so much easier.
Plus, there is another method of verification in which sellers provide information about their education and history.
How does Fiverr work?
If you have a particular talent, on Fiverr you can earn by doing work for customers (buyers) who sign up to the site to complete/create projects.
Working on Fiverr is very simple, but first, you need to understand the difference between the two types of site users.
- Seller (Freelance/seller): if you work on your own and are looking for a job, you can open a freelance profile on Fiverr, create your offers and make yourself available to customers. Read more on how to get clients on Fiverr.
- Buyer (client/buyer): if you are looking for professionals who can help you complete a project, Fiverr allows you to open a buyer profile and request the services of the freelancer who convinces you the most.
Fiverr offers both types of users the ability to communicate via their messaging system. Buyers and freelancers must always agree on the type, duration and purpose of the project.
Now that you know how Fiverr works, it’s time to set up your profile and let your customers find you!
2. Content writing is one of the best Fiverr gigs
I have purchased over 100 writing gigs to help me with my blog writing and software reviews and one of my best performing content is written by a Fiverr freelancer.
This blog post, that is about how to get clients on Fiverr, is ranking #1 on Google US and Google UK for the keyword “how to get clients on Fiverr.
You might argue that the keyword has a small volume and therefore it’s very easy to rank for. Yes, this is very true, the keyword volume in the US is only 30 searches a month.
However, the blog post is ranking for 129 keywords and generating between 50 and 100 visitors daily, increasing every week.
I have only paid $50 for this long-form blog post which contains 1,990 words in total. If you are interested in purchasing a very high-quality writing gig without spending a fortune, let me recommend you this one:
3. Do not buy backlinks on Fiverr
Some experts SEOs say that buying backlinks, in general, is a pretty bad idea because it’s against Google’s terms of service. But that doesn’t mean Google will ever find out, all deals are made under the table, and money is exchanged from bank account to bank account. There is no way Google ever can ever find out.
That’s why that practice typically doesn’t discourage anyone. If you are an SEO expert who is familiar with the latest search engine algorithm changes, you can request a sample of the vendor’s previous work. Then, after an assessment, you determine if it’s a good idea to purchase this kind of connection for your niche.
I understand that it’s tempting to do so, particularly if you see that your competitors are using low-quality backlinks and rankings on Google’s first page, but they can sometimes do more harm than good to your company.
Buying traffic on Fiverr
It’s definitely not a great idea to buy traffic on Fiverr. Fake traffic won’t do much to your ranking and may even hurt your position in SERP. That kind of traffic won’t bring any sales since it’s all bot traffic.
Frequently Asked Questions about buying on Fiverr
Is it easy to buy on Fiverr?
Fiverr has made it very easy for individuals to buy gigs. This is what Fiverr does best.
You have all the requisite details and you get your order shipped within just a couple of days (sometimes even less).
But take your time and read what I have to say before you go and put an order, as Fiverr may not always be as good as it seems.
In my view, Fiverr is a platform with a bad reputation, primarily due to its weak rating system. If you don’t want to repeat my mistakes and waste your time and money on sellers offering lousy service, then keep reading as I’m going to discuss how to avoid getting a bad experience with Fiverr.
It’s very difficult to buy a great Fiverr gig cheaply since there are very few high-quality services that cost $5. However, there are a few cases where you can potentially buy a $5 gig:
- The seller is new and offers his services at a low price in order to raise the gig’s ranking and gain feedback from the customers. The price would inevitably rise.
- The seller lives in a third-world country, and there’s a lot of money out there for $5. That doesn’t mean that all the sellers from these countries are doing a fantastic job (in many cases, they do not).
- The gig is quick and takes no effort (a seller is usually using some sort of software). Despite promises, these kinds of gigs can harm your business.
Is Fiverr packed with fake reviews?
I don’t know exactly how it works, but in my experience, that’s not true.
Many people prefer to leave a 5-star rating even though the quality of work is bad as long as it is “as advertised”. And many people leave the 5-stars review because the price was actually very low and they felt they made a good deal based on price, so the review was based on the low price rather than the quality of the service. This process doesn’t make a review “fake”.
The Pros and Cons of Fiverr
As with all marketplaces, Fiverr in addition to offering you the opportunity to make money from home, or while travelling, has its advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of Fiverr
- Freedom: Fiverr allows you to work on your own, at your own pace and from anywhere in the world (as long as you have a good internet connection).
- Secure payments: since all customers have to deposit the requested money in advance if your service is flawless and you respect the terms of the agreement, getting paid on Fiverr is quite safe and immediate.
- Possibility to receive tips: On Fiverr customers always have the possibility to add economic bonuses for the seller, this always provided that the service received is excellent. Therefore, sometimes committing even beyond the agreed level of service is certainly a good thing and very often you will be awarded a bonus that normally is between 10 and 20% more.
- Fiverr is great for beginners: If you are taking your first steps into the world of freelancing, Fiverr is a great platform to gain experience. You will have a very large number of customers ready to buy your services and you will be able to begin to know all the dynamics behind maintaining your own business, on a secure platform where (at least) payments are guaranteed!
Disadvantages of Fiverr
Obviously, all this service from Fiverr comes at a cost, the commission that Fiverr will keep on your work is quite substantial, 20% commission of whatever you earn. It is therefore advisable to take this into consideration when creating your gigs and assigning a cost to your services.
Furthermore, given the low barrier of entry on the platform, Fiverr also has very high competition, especially in categories such as graphics and web design, this means that unless you are a superstar, with great experience and an excellent portfolio, initially you will have to work a little to be found and to be chosen by customers.
With regards to price, at first, you may be forced to keep a low profile in order to stand out from the competition and earn the coveted 5 stars.
With regards to customer service, they tend to reply to inquiries with templated answers. Let me tell you an example.
I have recently asked Fiverr’s customer service why my payment on the mobile app shows different numbers than in my desktop account. I have made $400 in one sale, but on the Fiverr app, it was showing $386.
Here is their answer:
How is that going to help me?
An engineering mistake?
So the story continued with more back and forth replies between me and Fiverr customer service. Long story short, the problem is still there after 2 weeks of email exchange and I will continue to insist for a solution.
Choose Fiverr Pro
Fiverr gigs that are not Pro are of very bad quality, do not try to save money buying services that are typically expensive such as web development or SEO, because, for how tempting this might seem, the outcomes are 99% of the times negative for you.